19 June, 2009

Track Season Has Started...

This is one of my favorite sprots for the kids to participate in! I love swimming as well, but the meets take far too long-

I love track for many reasons. I love that it is an individual sport. And, that each child can mark progress each meet. I also love that it is completely during the summer and it gives the kids something to do.

Three kids signed up this year, which is an added bonus. I get to watch three compete all at the same sporting event, instead of just one. Nathan is conditioning for football, Anna is trying this out as her first sport experience, and Ben is doing this because it is truly "his" sport. He has been an endurance runner for the last two years, and really can run long distances and enjoy it. Wow. I need to learn lessons from him. Anyway, he just competed in the mile and got a time of 6:37-I want to get a chart for all of them to track their progress as the season progresses.

Practices are twice a week, meets are intermingled (usually once a week instead of a practice), and the whole family goes (except for sometimes Sarah). The best part for the kids are the ribbons they get each week from the meets they attend. They can do three events each meet, and have the possibility of getting a ribbon for each event. Immediate recognition. We like that.

And no. I am not a track recruiter trying to get your kids to join track at their local rec. center.










0 comments: