30 April, 2013

14th Birthday

Ben turns 14.  Eigth Grade.  This grade has been the kids' least favorite grade in junior high.  Nothing is new and exciting (7th grade), and not the big cheese of the school (9th grade).  
Regardless of the grade, Ben continues to enjoy the same things...building and creating.  There was a lady in our ward that questioned me one day as to what projects I had been working on in our garage?  She seemed to think I had been out there  A LOT lately...  I laughed and told her I had been cleaning up messes in the garage.  She questioned why I had to keep cleaning up messes?  I just smiled and told her that it was the only way I would ever get to park my van in the garage-clean up messes that my boys had made...at least they are being creative.
This year in Ben's Wood Class, he built a longboard.  He had been looking forward to making one all year.  After many weeks, the longboard was completed.  It just needed 5 or so coats of paint.  Ben has informed me that everyone at school considers him the expert painter in his woods class.  So, true to his reputation, Ben did an amazing job on the paint job.  He chose "BYU Blue" for the main color-he painted, then sanded, painted, then sanded.  It was quite a work of art when he was finished, and so proud of his workmanship!
Two other noteworthy accomplishments-Ben grew a "jedi braid"  this year.  He was good at tucking it behind his ear so that it wasn't noticeable while passing the sacrament, or singing in General Conference.  When Sarah skyped us on Christmas Day, the first thing she noticed was that Ben's braid was gone...What?!?  We hadn't even noticed that it was missing, and Ben just got this sly smile on his face when Sarah asked.  He had cut it a month previous.  

And, Ben finally got a cell phone.  Happy day!  Of course, he got Sarah's old phone (and number)...that could be a good thing if pretty friends of Sarah's try calling his number.
These visitors always show up
at family birthdays!
Different birthday,
different packaging.







0 comments: