04 March, 2012

Nathan in a Nutshell

Nate with Jaxon-Stage #1 of hair fun the week before State Meet
The biggest change in Nathan's life lately has been that the SWIMMING SEASON IS OVER!  I don't know who is more relieved-him or us.  It is always a big amount of stress, and it takes a toll mentally.  The season culminated at the State Swim Meet, where Nate was seeded 3rd.  I wonder if sometimes it is easier on the mind to go into something like that placed last, as you have nowhere to go, but up...there had been a lot of work put into the swim year, and a lot of sacrifice.  And, when the dust settled at the final meet, Nate got 7th place.  Medals were given to 1-6th place.  He also got 4th place in the relay.  Medals were given to 1-3rd place.  All he wanted was a medal...and, it will have to wait until next year.  But, he did get 7th place in the state, and that is quite an accomplishment.  I asked Nate while driving him to practice one morning, if the water was cold when he got in.  He smiled, and said it was very cold...

Stage #2-Yin & Yang
I admire our youth in these last days.  Not because they swim early in the mornings, or because they are successful in what they do.  But, more because of the tenacity that they have.

So, now that swim is over, the fun has begun.  Water Polo has started.  Same time, same
Bat Channel.  Nate said he would rather play polo than sleep.  That says a lot for a teenager.  He is the goalie, in his second season, and learning a lot.

Turning 16 is just around the corner as well.  It is sooooo fun to talk about dating LOTS of different girls.  To talk about date ideas, and not just taking girls to movies.  To being the guy that all girls want to date because he is so much fun to be around.  To making plans, and not just hanging out without a plan.  To meeting parents and letting them know when you will have their daughter home...mind you, this conversation(s) took place within minutes...planting those seeds.
Stage #3-A Shaved Yin & Yang (The last stage was to shave it all off, but we didn't get a picture of that)


Nate's favorite class at the high school this year is auto maintenance.  He lights up at the dinenr table telling us about how he has taken apart an engine in class, or how pistons work...eventually, he will take his car in to work on in class, and fix the problems that it has.  He has a list of them.  Problems, that is.  With the car, that is.  Nate is a builder at heart, and it is SO enjoyable to see him find his niche. 


And, with size, Nate's appetite has also increased.  A LOT.  Every afternoon after swim practice, I would bring him a snack.  More like a meal.  When Nate came out to the car, he would peer into the front seat to see if a snack awaited him (I was somewhat irregular at first).  It was always so satisfying to see that genuine smile on his face when he would see his food.  Every day it was the same thing-egg sandwiches.  Sometimes up to 6 eggs, if I decided to scramble them.  Some afternoons he would treat that as his appetizer and find the main entree once we got home.  I am glad he didn't get tired of the same thing every day.  I called them my specialty sandwiches.  I am also glad for backyard chickens.  Nate told me he wasn't sure if he wanted to start driving since that snack wouldn't bein his car once he got out of practice.  But, that was only a fleeting thought...

1 comments:

ruthio said...

tyler said he wants the tutorial on that haircut