Ben literally changed overnight when he turned 12-he really did grow up a lot and being out of Primary and in the Young Men's has changed him (this first picture is our traditional first-time temple trip that Tim takes the kids on after they turn 12) . Tim blames it on the priesthood, and I would have to agree as I have watched him the last month or so. He takes on his priesthood responsibilities with honor, and I never hear him complain about those duties. Ben loves being a part of the "Big Kids" in the family, but can always run with the little ones as well. I think that must be one of the advantages of being a middle child...lots of friends in the family!The update on Ben goes like this...
1. Ben has had a love of paper folding (origami)-he knows how to make darts, 8-sided ninja stars, regular ninja stars, boxes, boxes that turn into roses, bow ties, boats, airplanes, desks, chairs, rings, paper cranes, dragons, tables, etc. 
2. Ben can't wait to start junior high school in the fall. He has mostly been excited to get contacts (he won't wear his glasses except in the classroom, and he really should wear them all the time), and has also just decided to run for student government. He has spent a lot of time this week making three posters for his campaign, and gives his speech on Friday to the 6th grade class. Ben's best friend is going to a different junior high, so we decided it might be good to have opportunities at the junior high to make new friends. I am amazed at his dedication to something, once he sets his mind to it (campaign posters, speech, etc.)
3. Ben is the winner in our family for the number of pets he owns. In fact, I have wondered where my moment of weakness came from when Ben asked me for his latest pet-a rat. Nathan had gotten one to share with his best friend, and it set Ben's wheels spinning. By the week's end, he had Anna on board to donate money to the "rat fund" (this was after the "chicken fund" fizzled), and we bought the rodent and supplies the next week. I don't mind having "Oreo" around, except for the shredded newspaper that continually floats around our house-it is fun though to watch how intelligent Oreo is, and how much he has learned to like Ben. His repertoire of pets include: fish, a tadpole that should be turning into a frog, and his rat.
0 comments:
Post a Comment